Skip to main content

Posts

China to prioritise stimulating consumption in 2026

BEIJING – China is expected to put boosting domestic demand – especially spurring consumption – at the core of its economic agenda in 2026, with policymakers likely to roll out stronger fiscal support and structural reforms to further unlock the potential of household spending, a senior expert said. Dr Wang Wei, senior researcher and former director of the Institute of Market Economy at the Development Research Centre of the State Council, said that to ensure stable economic growth during the 15th Five-Year Plan (2026-2030) period, China needs to achieve a notable increase in final consumption as a share of its gross domestic product. "That means China's future e conomic growth will need to rely more on domestic demand – particularly on the sustained, steady growth and innovation of consumption – to provide effective support for overall growth," Dr Wang said during a recent exclusive interview with China Daily. She said China has finished the "from nothing to so...

China to support 'reunification forces' in Taiwan, go after 'separatists'

China has long offered Taiwan a Hong Kong-style " one country, two systems " model of autonomy, though no major Taiwanese political party supports that. Taiwan's government says Beijing's rule in the former British colony has only brought repression, with Taiwan President Lai Ching-te on Tuesday citing the sentencing of Hong Kong tycoon Jimmy Lai to 20 years in prison the previous day. "Jimmy Lai's sentencing exposes the Hong Kong national security law for what it is - a tool of political persecution under China's 'one country, two systems' that tramples human rights & freedom of press," Lai wrote on X. There was no immediate response to Wang Huning's comments from Taiwan's government, which says only the island's people can decide their future. Beijing has repeatedly warned other countries including the US again st meddling in Taiwan issue, which it said is its internal affair. In a call with US President Donald Trump l...

China’s Wang meets US’ Rubio before planned Trump-Xi summit

Published Sat, Feb 14, 2026 · 01:43 PM [MUNICH] Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi met US Secretary of State Marco Rubio in Munich, as the two countries prepare for a planned visit by US President Donald Trump to Beijing in April.  Wang called for 2026 to be a year in which China and the US move towards mutual respect, according to state media Xinhua News Agency. The two sides agreed to strengthen dialogue and cooperation in various fields, and to promote the stable development of relations, Xinhua reported.  "As long as we uphold equality, mutual respect and reciprocity, we can find solutions to address each other's concerns and properly manage our differences," Xinhua ci ted Wang as saying on the sidelines of the Munich Security Conference.  The meeting took place amid preparations for Trump's scheduled trip to China for a summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping in April. The two leaders spoke by phone last week and discussed trade and geopolitical flashpoints, ...

Nexperia’s China unit seeks local wafer suppliers amid dispute – report

The Chinese unit of Nexperia is moving to line up domestic suppliers of silicon wafers while expanding its packaging operations within China. The move comes as the company looks to stabilise production after supply disruptions caused by an ongoing corporate dispute. Citing a report by Chinese news agency Caixin, Reuters reported the supplier selection process is expected to be largely completed in the first quarter. The shift comes after wafer deliveries from Nexperia Netherlands were halted, disrupting supplies to the Chinese business. It was reported in December that the unit had since secured Chinese-made silicon wafers sufficient to meet its entire 2026 output needs for one category of power chip, following the suspension of shipments from the Dutch unit. The supply freeze followed a decision by the Dutch government in September to take control of Nexperia from Wingtech Technology, citing governance concerns. Wafer supplies to the Chinese unit were sus...

Fireworks shop explosion kills 12 in China

ERROR: The request could not be satisfied Request blocked. We can't connect to the server for this app or website at this time. There might be too much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or contact the app or website owner. If you provide content to customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this error by reviewing the CloudFront documentation. Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront) Request ID: Mm3_fnpBcADYy5tQx_bLjWCsHz9oMCWwE9aeUoOGaJB4K-FuUWxdkw==

Big news from China: Trump may extend tariff truce for a year

By CNBCTV18.com February 12, 2026, 8:46:47 AM IST (Updated)While there's no official confirmation, it's widely speculated that US President Donald Trump and his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping, will meet at the Beijing Summit in early April 2026. Now, a new report says the two leaders may agree to extend the current tariff truce, in effect since November 2025 , by another year. The latest report in the South China Morning Post, headquartered in Hong Kong, cites multiple sources familiar with the discussions between Washington, D.C. and Beijing.Asian markets hit a new record high on Feb 12, extending their winning streak to a fifth straight day. With the latest rally, the MSCI Asia Index is up around 13% so far this year, its best start to the year relative to the S&P 500 this century, according to Bloomberg. The November 2025 rollback of tariffs and export controls followed an hour-and-forty-minute meeting between Trump and Xi in Busan, China. The two leaders agreed to...

China’s Nanjing Museum apologises after rare Ming dynasty painting sold illegally at auction

The painting appeared at an auction in May 2025, before being withdrawn following a report to the NCHA by Pang Shuling, a descendant of Pang Zenghe. Pang and her lawyers subsequently visited the museum twice but the museum was unable to account for five of the donated paintings, including Spring in Jiangnan. The remaining 132 paintings still remain in the museum's collection. Investigators conducted inquiries across 12 provinces and municipalities, NCHA said  - interviewing more than 1,000 people and reviewing at least 65,000 documents. They collected more than 1,500 pieces of evidence and examined over 30,000 calligraphy and painting artefacts. ILLEGALLY SOLD FOR 25,000 YUAN An employee, surnamed Zhang, exploited her position managing state-owned assets - illegally trading cultural relics for personal gain, NCHA said. Zhang came across the Spring in Jiangnan painting back in 1997, which had been illegally transferred for sale and priced a t 25,000 yuan. "Believing there ...

China celebrates New Year with huge gala, heralding Year of the Horse

ERROR: The request could not be satisfied Request blocked. We can't connect to the server for this app or website at this time. There might be too much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or contact the app or website owner. If you provide content to customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this error by reviewing the CloudFront documentation. Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront) Request ID: PhJLXuZALk132_Z-n2--i1zxEo7wEtr8HwsE4nrQFC_28FUy221bsA==